The Reverse Bioengineering Laboratory at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is seeking a PhD student for Fall 2024. Our mission is to pioneer advancements in biomedical engineering, aiming to reconstruct entire human and animal bodies using state-of-the-art engineering methodologies. We’ve termed this transformative approach “Reverse Bioengineering.” A hallmark of our research is the “Body on a Chip” (BoC) system, which emulates both physiological and pathological conditions of living organisms in vitro. Our trailblazing work holds significant potential for fields such as drug discovery, regenerative medicine, and wildlife conservation, charting new paths for the betterment of human and animal well-being.
PhD candidates in the Global PhD Student Fellowship will primarily undertake coursework in New York during their inaugural year, transitioning to research endeavors in Abu Dhabi thereafter. This enables each student to engage in formative study with an entering cohort of students, and take advantage of NYU’s world-class resources.
Key Features of the Fellowship
· New York University degree upon graduation
· Access to the extraordinary resources of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering
· Graduate coursework in New York
· Cutting-edge research opportunities in NYU Abu Dhabi’s labs
· Tuition, fees, and health insurance provided throughout the program
· Generous research assistantship and stipend provided by NYU Abu Dhabi throughout the program
· Assistance for degree-related travel between Abu Dhabi and New York
· Campus accommodation at no cost in Abu Dhabi
· A contribution toward accommodation costs in New York
· Career development assistance at both campuses
Qualifications, Preferred Skills and Experience:
· M.S. degree is required.
· B.S. and/or M.S. degrees in Biomedical Engineering or related fields
· Experience or interest in any of the following research fields is advantageous: Organs-on-a-Chip, Tissue Engineering, Micro/nanoengineering, Stem Cell Engineering
· Good track of research experience with number of publications is advantageous.
· All the requirements of Ph.D. application for NYU Tandon School of Engineering (Applicants who may not meet the specified criteria below could still be considered based on demonstrated strength in other areas):
· GPA: ≥ 3.5/4.0 for B.S. and 3.7/4.0 for M.S.
· TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo: ≥ 105/7.5/130
August – October 2023: Application packages submission + interview (Supervisor stage)
September – December 2023: Online submission to Tandon School PhD program
January – March 2023: Selection process and announcement
If interested, please send the application packages to email@example.com.